Find a job vacancy online and prepare a mock video application in which you present yourself and your skills in several languages. Start the video in the language the job advertisement is written in. Remember to also mention your home language(s) and your cultural competences.
For teachers: The task can be used as a demonstration of oral proficiency, compiled for the purposes of the oral language proficiency certificate, in module 6, in pairs or individually.
Take out the inventory you made of your language skills in the task called “My language repertoire” and “23. My cultural competences“.
- Diverse language skills predict stronger interpersonal skills and the ability to work with different people. How do your language skills relate to your working life skills?
- Consider how your cultural competence links to your working life skills. In what situations and environments have you developed your cultural competences? How could you use your skills in working life?
- Summarise your cultural competences in a few sentences. You can place the summary you wrote in the “International competence” section of your Language CV.
For comparison, take a look at the inventory you made of your language skills in task “2. My language repertoire”.
- What cultures are you familiar with? Which cultures do you identify with?
- What do the cultures you have listed have in common?
- Name and describe some customs, culinary traditions, or other prominent features of these cultures.
- In terms of cultural appropriateness, what features of communication do you associate with the cultures you listed? Consider, for example, the use of form of address, gestures, and physical proximity in interaction.
- What social features might be associated with them? Consider, for example, the importance of family and kinship, or the use of gendered language.
- What values could be associated with the cultures you listed (e.g., equality and equity in the Nordic countries, the pursuit of happiness and entrepreneurship in the United States)?
- Once all the members of your group have gone over the questions above, continue the discussion in groups. What was similar? What was different?